HISTORY OF THE PROPERTY
The house was built in 1633 as a place to live and work. It is one of the oldest buildings in the centre of Balk. Around 1800 the Poppes family owns the property. In those days this family was a prominent family who earned their money in the butter trade. From Friesland most of the butter was sold to Britain.
Original parts of the building are the side walls , the supporting beams and the rafters in the roof. Through the years the façade was adapted to the prevailing fashion of those days and the function of the building. The façade was originally in renaissance style with a stepped gable. You can still see the remaining stone blocks.
The family Poppes placed a memorial tablet in the façade which pictures a butter cask, a butter sampler and hammer. Above these pictures is the mark of the Poppes family: 3 triangles.
Inside the building especially the ceiling joists and (part ) of the roof construction show the time they were built in. The supporting beams are special because of the decoration of oak wood carvings at the end of the beams.
Originally the roof construction was made of round wood rafters with purlins. Over the purlins were rafters before the reconstruction in 1935. At that time the roof construction was probably adjusted and roof wood was applied on the new purlins.
In 1935 the building was converted into a private home. The front door, which used to be in the middle of the façade, was then replaced to the right. After being used as a private home and a shop the building was used as an amusement arcade and later on as a casino.
The interior still has a few historical items, which originate from various ages. In the attic is an old bed box that dates from the time the house was built. This kind of sleeping facility was often used by household staff.
A second bed box in the attic was originally situated in another part of the building. This wall is richly decorated with wood carving in Rococo style. (18th century)
The upstairs room still has a wooden ceiling probably from the early 1800’s. Also the paned windows at the back of the building show the Empire style . The standing rod is extra wide.
Drawings of the renovation in 1935